Thread: Surf Etiquette

Surf Etiquette

Postby surferdave » Mon Apr 02 2012 08:35pm

Ok I maybe venting but I am sick of people in the surf who don't belong there.

If you are beginner or if you DO NOT ride waves as in really surf don't hang out in the surf line turn around well before you get near breaking waves and let the people who so surf have space. I am sick of lawn mowers riding up on the sand in the middle of the break turning around and getting in your way and just going out.

If you are leave the shore wait till there is an opening and no one is riding a wave.

If you are coming in and you see a guy in front of you riding a wave don't get in his way. Even if these means you have to tack back out, do it. The guy up wind riding a wave has right of way. Yes this does not comply with normal sailing rules its more surfing rules. DON'T cut him off.

Learn the line up. This means where guys come into the surf and drop in and where they usually kick out get in the circulation and stay out of peoples way.

Its really not that hard and it amazes me how many people are clueless.
surferdave

Postby gregorvass » Mon Apr 02 2012 08:41pm

Hahaha I hate that. This is why I go 9am as soon as it gets crowded LATERS>>>>>>>>>

Here is Da Barn Bibble......Read it!

http://www.surfinghandbook.com/knowledg ... etiquette/

People who repeatedly break these rules are often given the stink-eye, a stern talking to, yelled at with obscenities (my favorite part), or just flat out beat up.
gregorvass

Postby mattwaverat » Tue Apr 03 2012 01:27pm

surferdave wrote: The guy up wind riding a wave has right of way. Yes this does not comply with normal sailing rules its more surfing rules. DON'T cut him off.

Hey Dave, I feel your pain. It's annoying and unsafe. I especially love it when last season someone spent the whole summer mowing the lawn in the break and then this year they learned to ride waves and get pissed at the new beginners doing the same thing! Haha.

Anyway, I digress. What I wanted to say is that the upwind rule is not strictly true. If you caught a wave way outside and then just before it starts peaking, lil' ol' me comes and jibes on the wave 20 yards upwind of you, does that mean I now get the wave? Probably not, and here in Santa Cruz, that would not be appreciated. Anyway, this is probably not what you meant anyway, but I wanted to make sure no one reading this got the idea that being upwind gave them automatic right of way. You still have to use common sense as well as respect the person who went to the trouble to turn onto the wave further outside.

Best,
Matt
mattwaverat

Postby cornfed » Tue Apr 03 2012 02:19pm

MATT YOU DEF HAVE IT WITH YOUR LAST PARAGRAPH! JUST BECAUSE YU ARE UPWIND DOES NOT MEAN ITS YOUR WAVE!!!! IF THE PERSON COUGHT IT FROM THE HORIZON ITS THEIR WAVE NOT THE PERSON FURTHER UPWIND! BUT IF YOU JIBE AT THE SAME TIME THEN THE PERSON FURTHER UPWIND HAS RIGHT OF WAY! PEOPLE JUST DONT GET IT! THEY WONDER WHY THEY GET YELLED AT AND THEN TURN TO THEIR FRIENDS AND SAY THE GUYS IN SANTA CRUZ ARE SUCH ASS HOLES BUT DONT TAKE THE TIME TO REALLY LEARN HOW THINGS WORK!
cornfed

Postby RonaldP » Tue Apr 03 2012 03:26pm

This would be a great video opportunity for Hollywood to visually explain and establish these rules once and for all so we don't have to read this type of post year after year. Video is worth a 1000 words and is able to cover more scenarios without becoming cumbersome. People who never kite in waves that visit ocean beaches most likely are not going to search out reading material that covers all the possible scenarios. Just get a video posted!
RonaldP

Postby pablito » Tue Apr 03 2012 04:13pm

I heard that Fish and Wildlife has determined that twin tip kiteboards are the primary reason why snowy plovers are endangered.

As of April 1, twintip kiteboards have been prohibited at all ocean beaches with breaking waves in California.
pablito

Postby insight » Tue Apr 03 2012 04:28pm

"I heard that Fish and Wildlife has determined that twin tip kiteboards are the primary reason why snowy plovers are endangered.

As of April 1, twintip kiteboards have been prohibited at all ocean beaches with breaking waves in California."

Now you're talking like an idiot. Too bad you had to go there. So much for common respect...[/quote]
insight

Postby jfinn » Tue Apr 03 2012 04:37pm

mattwaverat wrote:
surferdave wrote: The guy up wind riding a wave has right of way. Yes this does not comply with normal sailing rules its more surfing rules. DON'T cut him off.

If you caught a wave way outside and then just before it starts peaking, lil' ol' me comes and jibes on the wave 20 yards upwind of you, does that mean I now get the wave? Probably not, and here in Santa Cruz, that would not be appreciated.

Best,
Matt

Even in regular surfing, that kind of thing's not appreciated. You are correct, sir.
So Cal Rep, RRD Kites and Boards.
jfinn

Postby davef967 » Tue Apr 03 2012 05:16pm

I agree with the rules as articulated here. However, I have another gripe with more "advanced" riders: More that a couple of times I've seen chuckle-heads that are learning to ride strapless dominate the break because they repeatedly lose their boards.
I think we all appreciate that riding strapless takes some work. But if you are learning then you go BACK to remedial class and get out of the line-up until you're not losing your board all the time.
DaveF967
davef967

Postby cornfed » Tue Apr 03 2012 06:00pm

dumb post by paul for sure
cornfed

Next

Return to Kitesurfing